logo 2011

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2011 - 12.21 July

Sections & Films

SUBMARINE

Category: Edition 2011

Synopsis

Oliver Tate is a precocious 15-year-old whose worldview is exceedingly clever but largely delusional. He has two big ambitions: to save his parents’ marriage and to lose his virginity before his next birthday. Worried that his mom Jill is having an affair with a has-been TV star turned New Age life coach, Graham T. Purvis, Oliver monitors his parents’ sex life by charting the dimmer switch in their bedroom. But foremost in Oliver’s mind is finding a girlfriend. Enter Jordana Bevan, a refreshingly complicated girl, a feisty pyromaniac who suffers form eczema. Jordana becomes Oliver’s willing accomplice in his mission to lose his virginity, but on condition that she supervises his journal writing, especially the bits about her.

Sinossi

Oliver Tate, 15 anni, è un ragazzo precoce con una visione del mondo molto acuta ma anche un po’ delirante. Ha due grandi aspirazioni: salvare il matrimonio dei suoi genitori, e perdere la verginità prima del suo prossimo compleanno. Oliver è preoccupato, perché pensa che la madre, Jill, abbia una relazione con Graham T. Purvis, ex divo televisivo divenuto guru New Age, e decide di controllare la vita sessuale dei genitori tracciando una tabella sull’interruttore della loro camera da letto. Ma lo scopo principale di Oliver è trovare una fidanzata. Così entra in scena Jordana Bevan, una giovane piacevolmente complicata, una piromane con l’eczema. Jordana è disposta ad aiutarlo a perdere la verginità, ma solo a condizione di poter supervisionare il diario del ragazzo, soprattutto nelle parti che riguardano lei.

Original Title SUBMARINE
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 97'
Production Year 2010
Nationality United Kingdom, USA
Directed by Richard Ayoade
Screenplay Richard Ayoade
Based on the book ""
by Joe Dunthorne
Director of photography Erik Wilson
Editor Chris Dickens, Nick Fenton
Production Design Gary Williamson
Costume Design Charlotte Walter
Music Andrew Hewitt
Main cast Craig Roberts (Oliver Tate)
Yasmin Paige (Jordana)
Sally Hawkins (Jill)
Paddy Considine (Graham)
Noah Taylor (Lloyd)
Gemma Chan (Kim-Lin)
Produced by Andy Stebbing, Mark Herbert, Mary Burke

submarine regRichard Ayoade
Born 1977, London. He studied Law at the University of Cambridge. His acting, writing and directing credits include TV series such as GARTH MARENGHI’S DARKPLACE (2004) and MAN TO MAN WITH DEAN LERNER (2006). He has also performed in the TV series THE MIGHTY BOOSH and THE IT CROWD. He made music videos for the Arctic Monkeys, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Super Furry Animals, Kasabian, the Last Shadow Puppets and Vampire Weekend. He directed the concert film ARCTIC MONKEYS AT THE APOLLO (2008). SUBMARINE is his first fiction feature film.

Richard Ayoade
Nato a Londra nel 1977. Ha studiato Giurisprudenza a Cambridge. È stato attore, sceneggiatore e regista per serie tv come GARTH MARENGHI’S DARKPLACE (2004) e MAN TO MAN WITH DEAN LERNER (2006) Ha recitato anche nelle serie tv THE MIGHTY BOOSH e THE IT CROWD. Ha girato videoclip per gruppi come the Arctic Monkeys, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Super Furry Animals, Kasabian, the Last Shadow Puppets e Vampire Weekend. Nel 2008 ha diretto il film-concerto ARCTIC MONKEYS AT THE APOLLO. SUBMARINE è il suo primo lungometraggio di finzione.

Director’s statement
"SUBMARINE is a book by Joe Dunthorne. Ally Gipps, who works at Warp Films, has known Joe for years, and Warp optioned the book before it came out. I’d done a music video for Warp, an Arctic Monkeys video, and they gave me the book to read. I really liked it. Warp then asked me to write a script with a view to directing it. Joe and I met several times and talked about what might translate well from the novel to a film.
"Much of the humour in the novel lies in the tension between what you think has happened and how Oliver is describing it. The question was how to do that effectively in the film. The idea was to keep Oliver’s unreliability as a narrator but to juxtapose that with an actual reality even though the film is quite subjective as well. I think the great Eric Rohmer was amazing at doing that. A big reference was LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON. I’d say the film has moved away from the book but I hope that it’s kept the spirit of the Oliver Tate character that Joe wrote.
"Joe has been great throughout, he was so encouraging and always there with good comments. I couldn’t have asked for better. In films where you have a young hero they’re often portrayed as blameless. I liked that Oliver was sort of mean and distant and selfish. There was something very interesting about that. I’ve always liked books that deal with people of that age like THE CATCHER IN THE RYE, FRANNY AND ZOOEY and films like THE GRADUATE, A MA SOEUR, and HAROLD & MAUDE.
"The idea was that it shouldn’t be set in a particular time frame. Partly because it didn’t seem important and partly because I think you can just get into radiating a lot of information that doesn’t have any bearing on the story. I like films where you don’t really know what era they are from, like Satyajit Ray films. I don’t know if the Apu films are set in the childhood that he had, or 400 BLOWS is set in 1959 or is it in an era closer to Truffaut’s childhood".

Dichiarazioni del regista
"SUBMARINE è in origine un libro di Joe Dunthorne. Ally Gipps, che lavora alla Warp Film, conosce Joe da anni, e la Warp ha acquistato i diritti del libro prima che questo fosse pubblicato. Ho realizzato per la Warp un video degli Arctic Monkeys, che mi hanno dato il libro. Mi è piaciuto molto. Poi la Warp mi ha chiesto di scrivere una sceneggiatura per trarne un film. Ho incontrato Joe molte volte per capire come trasporre il libro sullo schermo.
"Gran parte dell’umorismo del romanzo risiede nella tensione tra ciò che si pensa sia accaduto e il modo in cui Oliver lo descrive. Il problema era come rendere tutto ciò nel film in modo efficace. L’idea era di mantenere l’incertezza di Oliver come narratore e di giustapporla a una realtà concreta, anche se il film resta abbastanza soggettivo. Credo che il grande Eric Rohmer abbia realizzato cose di questo genere in maniera incredibile. Un modello importante è stato ARIANNA, il film di Billy Wilder. Direi che il mio film si è allontanato dal libro, ma spero sia rimasto intatto lo spirito di Oliver Tate, il personaggio creato da Joe.
"Joe è stato grande in tutto, era sempre lì a incoraggiarmi e a darmi consigli. Non avrei potuto chiedere di meglio. Nei film in cui tra i protagonisti c’è un giovane eroe, questo viene spesso rappresentato come una persona moralmente integerrima e pura. Mi piaceva il fatto che Oliver fosse invece pungente, freddo, egoista. C’era qualcosa di molto interessante in tutto questo. Mi sono sempre piaciuti i libri che parlano di personaggi giovani, come IL GIOVANE HOLDEN o FRANNY E ZOOEY, e film come IL LAUREATO, A MIA SORELLA, HAROLD & MAUDE.
"L’idea era di evitare che il film fosse ambientato in un determinato periodo storico. In parte perché non mi sembrava importante, e in parte perché si vanno a inserire informazioni che non hanno nulla a che fare con la storia principale. Mi piacciono i film nei quali non viene specificato il periodo in cui sono ambientati, come i film di Satyajit Ray. Non si sa se la trilogia di Apu sia ambientata nel periodo dell’infanzia del regista, oppure se I QUATTROCENTO COLPI sia ambientato nel 1959 o in un’epoca più vicina all’infanzia di Truffaut".

Production
Film4
124 Horseferry Road, London SW1P 2TX – UK
phone +20 73964444
fax +20 73068356
www.film4.com

Warp Films
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.warp.net/films

World sales

Protagonist Pictures
4th floor, Waverly House, 7-12 Noel Street, London, W1F 8GQ – UK
phone +44 2077349000
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.protagonistpictures.com