logo 2010

GIFFONI EXPERIENCE 2010 - 18.31 July

Sections & Films

BOY

Category: Edition 2010

Synopsis

The year is 1984, and on the rural East Coast of New Zealand “Thriller” is changing kids’ lives. Boy is a dreamer who loves Michael Jackson. He lives with his brother Rocky, a tribe of deserted cousins and his Nan. Boy’s other hero, his father, Alamein, is the subject of Boy’s fantasies, and he imagines him as a deep sea diver, war hero and a close relation of Michael Jackson (he can even dance like him). In reality Alamein is an inept, wannabe gangster who has been in jail for robbery. When Alamein returns home after seven years away, Boy is forced to confront the man he thought he remembered, find his own potential and learn to get along without the hero he had been hoping for.

Sinossi

L’anno è il 1984, e sulla Costa Orientale della Nuova Zelanda, una zona rurale, "Thriller" sta cambiando la vita dei bambini. Boy è un sognatore che ama Michael Jackson e vive con suo fratello Rocky, una tribù di cugini abbandonati e la nonna. Altro eroe del ragazzo è suo padre, Alamein. Boy lo immagina sub in acque profonde, eroe di guerra, amico intimo di Michael Jackson e grande ballerino. In realtà Alamein è un inetto, aspirante gangster che è stato in carcere per rapina. Quando Alamein torna a casa dopo sette anni, Boy è costretto a confrontarsi con l'uomo che credeva di ricordare, comprendere le sue stesse potenzialità e imparare ad andare avanti facendo a meno dell’eroe nel quale aveva riposto tutte le sue speranze.

Original Title BOY
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2010
Nationality New Zealand
Directed by Taika Waititi
Screenplay Taika Waititi
Script Taika Waititi
Director of photography Adam Clark
Editor Chris Plummer
Production Design Shayne Radford
Costume Design Amanda Neale
Sound Tim Prebble
Music The Phoenix Foundation
Main cast James Rolleston (Boy)
Te Aho Eketone-Whitu (Rocky)
Taika Waititi (Alamein)
Moerangi Tihore (Dynasty)
Cherilee Martin (Kelly)
RickyLee Waipuka-Russell (Chardonnay)
Produced by Ainsley Gardiner, Cliff Curtis, Emanuel Michael

boy regTaika Waititi
Born in Wellington in 1975, he has worked as an actor since the end of the 90s. He founded the production company Defender Films with screenwriter Ainsley Gardiner. In 2000, he was nominated for the Nokia Award for his performance in Robert Sarkies’ feature film SCARFIES (1999). In January 2005, he attended the Sundance Directors and Screenwriters Labs to workshop the feature project CHOICE, and was again selected in July 2005 to fine-tune EAGLE VS. SHARK, his first feature film selected a t the GFF 2007. After several short films, he directed TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT, nominated for an Oscar. Taika is also an experienced painter and photographer having exhibited both mediums in Wellington and Berlin.

Taika Waititi
Nato a Wellington nel 1975, lavora come attore dalla fine degli anni 90. Fonda con lo sceneggiatore Ansley Gardiner la casa di produzione “Defender Films”. Nel 2000 è candidato al Nokia Award come miglior attore per la sua prova in SCARFIES (1999), di Robert Sarkies. Nel gennaio 2005 frequenta il laboratorio di regia e sceneggiatura del Sundance Film Festival per sviluppare il progetto del lungometraggio CHOICE, e viene riselezionato nel luglio dello stesso anno per il progetto di EAGLE VS. SHARK, il suo primo lungometraggio presentato al GFF nel 2007. Ha diretto alcuni corti, tra cui TWO CARS, ONE NIGHT, candidato all’Oscar. È anche pittore e fotografo: le sue opere sono state esposte a Wellington e Berlino.

Director’s statement
“BOY is my first feature film. I see EAGLE VS SHARK as my second film. I learned a lot on the project but it’s a film I made so that I could take people by surprise, because it wasn’t the film they were expecting from me. Set in a rural Maori community in the Bay of Plenty, BOY is an 11 year-old Boy’s journey to knowing and understanding the adult world of which he will one day become a part. Boy is a character who invents memories to make sense of his place in the world. He tries to better his existence vicariously through the made-up exploits of his absent father, Alamein. When Alamein returns, Boy is forced to reinvent his world, memories and self so he can become a young man. Like Boy, I draw a lot of inspiration from true and imagined memories. This story is personal in that I believe you must write what you know in order to create honest art. Some events are true, some true of other people, most are imagined. Part of what makes this film distinct is the humour; I want to explore the painful comedy of growing up and interpreting the world. I believe that despite our faults and inadequacies, through all pain and heartache, there is still room to laugh. I think that’s what makes my films different, the feeling that although there is often darkness, there are also little bits of light to encourage hope and hold on to possibility”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“BOY è il mio primo lungometraggio. Vedo EAGLE VS SHARK come il mio secondo film. Ho imparato molto da quel progetto, ma è un film che ho fatto per sorprendere tutti perché non era quello che si aspettavano da me. Ambientato in una comunità rurale Maori nella Baia di Plenty, BOY racconta il viaggio che un 11enne compie per conoscere e comprendere il mondo degli adulti del quale un giorno diventerà anch’egli parte. Boy è un personaggio che inventa dei ricordi per dare un senso al suo posto nel mondo. Egli cerca di migliorare la propria esistenza indirettamente, attraverso le gesta immaginarie del padre assente, Alamein. Quando Alamein ritorna, Boy è costretto a reinventare il suo mondo, i suoi ricordi e se stesso per poter diventare un giovane uomo. Come Boy, io traggo molta ispirazione dai miei ricordi veri o immaginari. Questa storia è personale, perché sono convinto che si debba scrivere ciò che si conosce per creare arte in modo onesto. Alcuni eventi sono veri, alcuni personaggi sono reali, la maggior parte sono immaginari. In parte ciò che rende questo film diverso è l'umorismo; voglio esplorare la commedia dolorosa della crescita e dell’interpretazione del mondo ma credo che, nonostante i nostri difetti e le nostre carenze, il dolore e l’angoscia, vi sia ancora spazio per ridere. Penso che questo sia ciò che rende il mio film diverso, la sensazione che nonostante le tante ombre, ci siano anche piccoli frammenti di luce ad incoraggiare la speranza che tutto sia ancora possibile”.

Production

Whenua Films

Unison Films

World sales
Festival contact
New Zealand Film
PO Box 11 546 Wellington - New Zealand
Phone +64 43827682
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.nzfilm.co.nz