logo 2008

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2008 - 18.26 July

Sections & Films

RED ZORA

Category: Edition 2008

Synopsis

The romantic, breathtaking landscape of Mediterranean coast in the 1930s: After the death of his mother, twelve-year-old Branko goes looking for his father, a travelling fiddler, in a near-by coastal town, but his father is long gone. When Branko snatches a fish from the local market, he gets nabbed by fish merchant Karaman - only to be freed by 14-year-old Red Zora, the leader of a gang of outlaw orphan kids with a hideout in the ruins of a castle. Chased by the rich kids of the town's well-to-do families, Karaman and the local police, Zora's gang strikes back with ingenuity and camraderie. Zora begins to discover her feelings for Branko, while he has a crush on the beautiful, violin-playing Zlata - who turns out to be the daughter of the mayor Ivekovic. The gang on the run soon finds its future at stake in the greatest adventure of their lives.

Sinossi

Costa del Mediterraneo, anni ’30, sullo sfondo di un paesaggio romantico e mozzafiato. Dopo la morte della madre, il dodicenne Branko va in cerca di suo padre, un musicista girovago, in una cittadina costiera. L’uomo però ha lasciato il luogo da tempo. Quando Branko ruba un pesce al mercato, viene acciuffato dal mercante di pesce Karaman ma subito viene salvato dalla quattordicenne Zora la Rossa, leader di una banda di orfani fuorilegge che si nascondono tra le rovine di un castello. Cacciati dai rampolli delle famiglie benestanti della città, da Karaman e dalla polizia locale, il gruppo si difende con ingenuità e grande cameratismo. Zora intanto comincia a rendersi conto di provare un sentimento particolare per Branko, che a sua volta si innamora della bella violinista Zlata, ossia la figlia del sindaco Ivekovic. La gang è in fuga e il futuro dei ragazzi è messo a repentaglio in quella che sarà la più grande avventura della loro vita.

Original Title DIE ROTE ZORA
Category Official Competition
Section First Screens
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 89'
Production Year 2007
Nationality Germany
Directed by Peter Kahane
Screenplay Christian Zübert, Peter Kahane, Ronald Kruschak
Based on the book "Die rote Zora und ihre Bande"
by Kurt Held
Director of photography Dragan Rogulj
Editor Gudrun Steinbrück
Production Design Aleksandar Denic
Costume Design Helene Hohensee
Sound Maarten van de Voort
Music Detlef Petersen
Main cast Linn Reusse (Zora)
Mario Adorf (Gorian)
Ben Becker (Karaman)
Dominique Horwitz (Ivekovic)
Jakob Knoblauch (Branko)
David Berton (Duro)
Produced by Malte Grunert, Ronald Kruschak, Claudia Schröder

red zora regPeter Kahane
Born in 1949 in Prague, he is writer and director. Since 1984 he has been working in Germany above all on TV movies, and episodes for several series. RED ZORA is his most recent work.

Peter Kahane
Nato nel 1949 a Praga, è sceneggiatore e regista. Dal 1984 lavora in Germania soprattutto su film per la tv ed episodi di serie televisive. RED ZORA è il suo lavoro più recente.

Director’s statement
“From my own memory I have always known that cinema has it greatest effect and its greatest magic for a young audience. Children and teenagers are also the best audience you can wish for. They react directly and emotionally. So when I received the offer to take on the adaptation of the children classic DIE ROTE ZORA, I was very pleased. I hasn’t read it at that time though and curiously began reading. Since the novel dates back to the Tirthies, I was reluctant first, expecting maybe a preaching tone or old fashioned story. But the more astounded I was when I found myself completely devouring the great adventure of Zora and her orphan gang. What impressed me most is the courage, the sense of justice, the humour but also the hidden sensitiveness of the main character. [...] RED ZORA is an ambitious and engaging novel but it’s also an entertaining novel crossing boundaries of several genres: social drama, comedy, adventure, fairytale. But at its heart, RED ZORA tells us about friendship, honesty and solidarity – timeless themes that we all care about. I happily accepted the offer”.

Dichiarazioni del regista
“Da quel che ricordo, ho sempre saputo che l’effetto più forte e la magia più grande del cinema possono essere raggiunti solo con un pubblico giovane. Bambini e adolescenti sono i migliori spettatori che si possano desiderare, perché reagiscono in modo diretto ed emotivo. Quando ho ricevuto l’offerta di adattare per il cinema il classico della letteratura per ragazzi ZORA LA ROSSA, ne sono stato felice. Ma non l’avevo letto a suo tempo, e così ho iniziato a sfogliarlo con curiosità. Dal momento che il romanzo risale agli anni ’30, all’inizio ho avuto qualche riluttanza, forse perché mi aspettavo un tono predicatorio o una storia ‘vecchio stile’. Ma ancora più grande è stato il mio stupore quando mi sono ritrovato a divorare la grande avventura di Zora e della sua banda di orfani. Quel che mi ha più colpito è il coraggio, il senso di giustizia, l’umorismo, ma anche la sensibilità nascosta del personaggio principale. […] RED ZORA è una storia ambiziosa e appassionante che attraversa diversi generi: il dramma sociale, la commedia, l’avventura, la fiaba. Ma nel profondo, RED ZORA ci parla di amicizia, onestà, solidarietà: temi immortali che riguardano tutti noi. Ed è così che ho accettato l’offerta con gioia”.

Production
Festival contact
Studio Hamburg Production GmbH
www.studio-hamburg.de

World sales
Telepool GmbH
www.telepool.de