logo 2007

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2007 - 10.21 July

Sections & Films

FLICKA

Category: Edition 2007

Synopsis

Katy McLaughlin, 16 year-old, is enrolled in a private school on the outskirts of Laramie, Wyoming, but her heart is with her sprawling family ranch in the state's remote mountain region. Katy returns to the ranch and soon becomes enamoured of a wild mustang filly she finds in the woods. She names the horse Flicka, or “beautiful young girl” in Swedish. Rob, Katy’s father, sees nothing but trouble coming from the untamed animal and discourages his daughter from keeping her. Despite her father’s disapproval, Katy sets out to break through to Flicka and transform her into a riding horse. Her relationship with Flicka becomes a catalyst for change for the entire McLaughlin family, which is at a major crossroads: Katy's dad is considering selling the ailing ranch, brother Howard wants to leave Wyoming for college in Boston, and her mother Nell is fighting to keep her family from falling apart.

Original Title FLICKA
Italian Title FLICKA - UNO SPIRITO LIBERO
Category Official Competition
Section Free to Fly
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 95'
Production Year 2006
Nationality USA
Directed by Michael Mayer
Screenplay Mark Rosenthal, Lawrence Konner
Based on the book "My Friend Flicka"
by Mary O’Hara
Director of photography J. Michael Muro
Editor Andrew Marcus
Production Design Sharon Seymour
Costume Design Molly Maginnis
Sound Paul Urmson
Music Aaron Zigman
Main cast Alison Lohman (Katy McLaughlin)
Tim McGraw (Rob McLaughlin)
Maria Bello (Nell McLaughlin)
Ryan Kwanten (Howard McLaughlin)
Danny Pino (Jack)
Dallas Roberts (Gus)
Produced by Gil Netter

flicka regMichael Mayer

Mayer (Washington, 1960) made his feature film directorial debut on 2004’s A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD, written by Michael Cunningham. One of the most successful theatre directors working today, Mayer has an impressive list of Broadway credits including THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (Drama Desk Award, “Best Director of a Musical”); UNCLE VANYA; SIDE MAN (also in London and Washington); A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE (Tony Award, “Best Revival”); TRIUMPH OF LOVE. Mayer’s Off-Broadway work includes THE CREDEAUX CANVAS, STUPID KIDS, BABY ANGER, ANTIGONE IN NEW YORK, VIEW OF THE DOME. He directed the national tour of ANGELS IN AMERICA. Mayer is also the Resident Director of Manhattan’s Roundabout Theatre.

Director’s statement

“I thought it was a really beautiful, universal story about the coming-to-terms of a father and daughter. It just so happens that a wild mustang is at the fulcrum of their relationship. What moved me most is how hard the family tries to make it all work. Everyone has the best intentions; there are no villains other than the vagaries of time and circumstance”.
“We talked about what horses can really do and what they can’t do. One of the funniest moments was when I asked if we couldn’t make one of the horses ‘just look’ at Flicka. The answer was ‘Michael, it's a horse, not an actor’. I quickly learned that horses aren’t performers, but rather really beautiful, intuitive animals”.

Produzione/Production
Distribuzione internazionale/World sales
20th Century Fox
www.foxstudios.com
Distribuzione italiana/Italian distribution
Festival contact
20th Century Fox
Via Salaria 1021, 00138 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 881759652
fax +39 0688520886
www.20thfox.it