logo 2006

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2006 - 14.22 July

Sections & Films

LASSIE

Category: Edition 2006

Synopsis

On the eve of World War II, in the Yorkshire mining town of Greenhall Bridge, an extraordinary and beautiful Collie, named Lassie, lives with nine year old Joe and his parents. Lassie is well known locally, not least by the local mine owner, the Duke of Rudling, a wealthy aristocrat with a passion for champion dogs. When the mine is closed down and Sam, Joe’s father, is thrown out of work he can no longer afford to rebuff the Duke’s offers and he is forced to sell Lassie. The duke presents the dog to his young niece, Cilla, but Lassie has other ideas and makes a series of daring escapes to return to the family she loves, until finally she is transported five hundred miles away to the Duke’s remote castle on the northern coast of Scotland. This however does nothing to dampen Lassie’s determination and with help from Cilla she escapes the clutches of the Duke and his cruel trainer Hines and once again sets out for home.

Original Title LASSIE
Italian Title LASSIE
Category Official Competition
Section Kidz
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 100'
Production Year 2005
Nationality United Kingdom
Directed by Charles Sturridge
Screenplay Charles Sturridge
Based on the book "Lassie Come Home”
by Eric Knight
Director of photography Howard Atherton
Editor Peter Coulson, Adam Green
Production Design John Paul Kelly
Costume Design Charlotte Walter
Music Adrian Johnston
Main cast Jonathan Mason (Joe)
John Lynch (Sam)
Peter O’Toole (Duca/Duke)
Hester Odgers (Cilla)
Samantha Morton (Sarah)
Peter Dinklage (Rowlie)
Produced by Charles Sturridge, Francesca Barra, Ed Guiney
Access

lassie regCharles Sturridge

Born in 1951, Sturridge made his debut as a director in 1978 with the TV series STRANGERS. In the following years he worked on many TV series and mini-serials among which THE STORYTELLER, THE SPOILS OF WAR, BRIDESHEAD REVISITED (winner of several Prizes, including a BAFTA and two Golden Globes), GULLIVER’S TRAVELS (1995) which won five Emmy Awards. Among his films for the big screen we remember RUNNERS (1983), the episode THE VIRGIN OF ANGELS of the film ARIA (1987), A HANDFUL OF DUST (1988), WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD (1991), A FOREIGN FIELD (1993) and FAIRYTALES A TRUE STORY (1997) presented at the GFF 1998.

Director’s statement

“I thought it was an unexpectedly muscular kind of adventure, which had some unusual opportunities in it for filmmaking. It seemed to me a chance to make a film which had a great sense of landscape and a great sense of place.”

Production
World sales
Festival contact
Odyssey Entertainment
12 St James’s Square, London SW1Y 4RB - UK
phone +44 2071533596
fax 44 2071533597
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.odyssey-entertainment.co.uk