logo 2005

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2005 - 16.23 July

Sections & Films

STRAY DOGS

Category: Edition 2005

Synopsis

Two children, a brother and a sister, rescue a stray dog on the streets of Kabul. That evening they visit the city jail where their mother is a prisoner. Since her children have nowhere to live, and nobody that looks after them, they are permitted to stay with her at nights. But the following morning, they are thrown out because the prison is for criminals, not for homeless orphans. So, desperate to return, in order to have a shelter to live, brother and sister try to commit a crime, and embark on a series of failed robberies. A fugitive tells them they can learn to steal from watching Hollywood movies. Alternatively, European cinema can teach them how to get caught.

Original Title SAG-HAYE VELGARD
Italian Title PICCOLI LADRI
Category Out of competition
Section Reload
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 93'
Production Year 2004
Nationality Iran
Directed by Marzieh Meshkini
Screenplay Marzieh Meshkini
Script Marzieh Meshkini
Director of photography Ebrahim Ghafori, Maysam Makhmalbaf
Editor Mastaneh Mohajer
Production Design Akbar Meshkini
Sound Faroukh Fadace
Music Mohammad Reza Darvishi
Main cast Gol-Ghotai (Gol-Ghotai)
Zahed (Zahed)
Agheleh Rezaie (la madre/the mother)
Sohrab Akbari (Atef)
Maydeh Gol (la nonna/the grandmother)
Jamil Ghanazideh (guardia arrabbiata/angry guard)
Produced by Maysam Makhmalbaf
Access

stray dogs regMarzieh Meshkini

Born in 1969 in Tehran. She studied cinema at Makhmalbaf Film School from 1996 to 2001. She has been assistant director to both Mohsen and Samira Makhmalbaf. In 2000 her film THE DAY I BECAME A WOMAN (ROOZI KE ZAN SHODAM) was presented at Venice and won the CinemAvvenire Prize, as well as other prizes at other film festivals around the world.

Director’s statement

“I travelled to Afghanistan in 2002 as Samira Makhmalbaf’s assistant director on her second film. One day, searching for suitable locations, we visited a prison in Kabul. There I met children of female inmates who were living prisoners with their mothers. At first I thought the children were also convicts but then I found out they were the children of the women in the prison, and that thay had no home outside the prison and had to stay with their mothers during the night and leave in the morning to earn a living outside. The story of STRAY DOGS took shape in my mind as I thought about the lives of those children”.

Production
Makhmalbaf Film House
www.makhmalbaf.com

World sales
Wild Bunch
www.wildbunch.biz

Italian distribution
Festival contact
Bim
Via Marianna Dionigi 57, 00193 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 3231057
fax +39 06 3211984
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.bimfilm.com