logo 2005

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2005 - 16.23 July

Sections & Films

HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE

Category: Edition 2005

Synopsis

Sophie, 18 years old, works in the hat’s shop inherited by her dead father. During one of her rare walks in the city, she meets the wizard Howl, a fascinating but spineless man. A witch who misunderstands their relationship curses Sophie transforming her in an old woman of 90. The girl runs away from home and wanders about desolate lands. One day she arrives at the Howl Moving Castle. There she hides her own identity and begins to work as a cleaning woman. This mysterious but dynamic “old lady” will give a new life to the old house. The only inhabitants of the castle are the young apprentice Marko and Calcifer, the fire demon who moves the house. With her energy Sophie will do real miracles. Which fabulous destiny is waiting for her? And her meeting with Howl wasn’t it really the beginning of this destiny?

Original Title HAURU NO UGOKU SHIRO
Italian Title IL CASTELLO ERRANTE DI HOWL
Category Out of competition
Section Premiere
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 119'
Production Year 2004
Nationality Japan
Directed by Hayao Miyazaki
Screenplay Hayao Miyazaki
Based on the book "Howl's Moving Castle"
by Diana Wynne Jones
Director of photography Atsushi Okui
Editor Takeshi Seyama
Sound Suminobu Hamada
Music Joe Hisaishi, Youmi Rimura (theme song “Sekai no Yakusoku”)
Original Voices Chieko Baishô (Sophie)
Takuya Kimura (Howl)
Akihiro Miwa (Strega delle Lande/ Witch of the Waste)
Tatsuya Gashûin (Calcifer)
Ryûnosuke Kamiki (Markl)
Haruko Kato (Madame Suliman)
Italian Voices Roberta Pellini (Sophie)
Francesco Bulckaen (Howl)
Ludovica Modugno (Strega delle Lande/Witch of the Waste)
Luigi Ferraro (Calcifer)
Furio Pergolani (Markl)
Maria Pia Di Meo (Madame Suliman)
Produced by Toshio Suzuki, Rick Dempsey, Ned Lott
Access

howls moving castle regHayao Miyazaki

Born in Tokyo in 1941, he graduated in Economy. In 1963 he entered Toei Animation, where he worked until 1971. In 1979 he directed the feature film LUPIN THE THIRD: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. Then he worked on comics. From 1982 to 1994 he signed the stories of NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF WIND, that in 1984 he transformed in an animated film. After this he founded his own production company the Ghibli Studio. With his studio he directed six animated films: MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988); PORCO ROSSO (aka THE CRIMSON PIG, 1992); PRINCESS MONONOKE (1997); MIYAZAKI’S SPIRITED AWAY (2001; Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival). He also directed two short films for the Ghibli Museum dedicated, above all to his works. HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE is an adaptation of a classic from English children literature.

Director’s statement

“For the first time one of my films revolves around true love. The film is for all those people who are willing to explore the relationship between children and the elderly. The film in fact revolves around the story of an elderly woman and Markl, a child living in the castle of Howl. One of the characters, the magician was written thinking of myself. He has many of my features, mainly my revulsion for war”.

Production
Studio Ghibli
1-4-25, Kajino-cho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo, 184 - Japan
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.ghibli.jp

World sales
Wild Bunch
www.wildbunch.biz

Italian distribution
Festival contact
Lucky Red
Via Antonio Chinotto 16, 00195 Roma - Italy
phone +39 06 3759441
fax +39 06 37352310
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.luckyred.it