logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

WHEN ZACHARY BEAVER CAME TO TOWN

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

It could’ve been just another quiet summer in the sleepy town of Granger, for 12-year-old Toby – a summer filled with riding bikes and slurping snow cones with his friend, Cal, and Cal’s brother, Wayne. But right from the start, Toby’s summer is anything but ordinary. His idol, Wayne, is away with the Army, and his mother leaves home to become a country/western singer. And then one day his town is visited by Zachary Beaver, “the fattest boy in the world”. In a tiny trailer, Zachary is his own one-man sideshow with his friend and business partner Paulie as his ringleader. Naturally, the whole town gathers around to take a look, including Toby and Cal. The boy is about their age, but twice their size. They doubt he is the “643 pounds” that Paulie says he is, but still he’s fat. Understandably, Zachary isn’t too friendly to the strangers, but nevertheless he intrigues Toby and Cal. Out of this unlikely beginning, a friendship develops between the three boys, a friendship that will help carry them through what will be a life changing summer for all of them.

Original Title WHEN ZACHARY BEAVER CAME TO TOWN
Italian Title È ARRIVATO ZACHARY
Category Official Competition
Section First Screens
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 88'
Production Year 2003
Nationality USA
Directed by John Schultz
Screenplay John Schultz
Based on the book "When Zachary Beaver Came to Town"
by Kimberly Willis Holt
Director of photography Shawn Maurer
Editor John Pace
Production Design Reiko Kobayashi
Costume Design Lee Hunsaker
Sound David O. Daniel
Music Richard Gibbs
Main cast Jonathan Lipnicki (Toby Wilson)
Sasha Neulinger (Zachary Beaver)
Cody Linley (Cal McKnight)
Eric Stoltz (Otto Wilson)
Jane Krakowski (Heather Wilson)
Kathleen Lancaster (Kate McKnight)
Produced by Amy Robinson, Jay Julien, Michael Corrente
Access

when zachary beaver came to town regJohn Schultz

Born 1960, Raleigh (USA). He began his career by writing and directing THE MAKING OF JURASSIK PARK (1995). The following year he wrote, directed and produced BANDWAGON, presented in many festivals and also at Shadow Line Film festival produced by the GFF. In 1999 Schultz was hired by Producer Amy Robinson to direct DRIVE ME CRAZY, based on the novel by Todd Strasser “How I Created My Perfect Prom Date”. In 2002 John Schultz’s third feature film, LIKE MIKE, was released by 20th Century Fox.

Director’s statement

“I went to dinner with the producer Amy Robinson and she handed me a book and said: ‘You should make this into a movie’. I read it that night and agreed. I loved the story – it worked incredibly well, yet was so simple, and that is perfect for a movie. I was attracted more than anything to the characters. Toby and his friends seemed like people I could understand. […] The story is about being left on your own, and growing as a result. But Kimberly Willis Holt was able to keep it fun, and not down. There is a lot of humour for such a realistic topic”.

Production
Festival contact
Revere Pictures
450 West 15th Street, Suite 602, New York, NY 10011 - USA
phone +1 6463361413
fax +1 6463361429
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.reverepictures.com

World sales
Cinetic Media
555 West 25th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001 - USA
phone +1 2122047979
fax +1 2122047980
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.cineticmedia.com