logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

WHEN I TURNED NINE

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

Yeo-min is a matured and thoughtful 9 year old boy who lives in a small mountain village. Even at his young age, he has too many things to take care of. He has to protect his friends from the neighbourhood bully Black Bird. And he also has to sell ice cream bars after school to save enough money to buy a pair of sunglasses for his mother who injured her eye while working at a factory. He is a nine year old boy who thinks he knows everything he needs to know about the world he lives in. Until Woo-rim walks into his life… Woo-rim is a pretty city girl who moves into Yeo-min’s village. The day she walks into his life, everything falls into a great confusion. He feels this funny feeling inside for the first time in his life.

Original Title AHOBSAL INSAENG
Category Official Competition
Section First Screens
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 105'
Production Year 2004
Nationality South Korea
Directed by Yun In-ho
Screenplay Lee Man-hui
Based on the book "Ahobsal insaeng"
by We Kee-cheul
Director of photography Chun Jo-myung
Editor Kim Hyun
Production Design Sihn Jeom-hui
Costume Design Jeong Kyeong-hee
Sound Son Seok-hyun
Music Roh Young-sim
Main cast Kim Suk (Baek Yeo-min)
Lee Se-young (Jang Woo-rim)
Jung Sun-kyumg (la madre di Yeo-min/Yeo-min’s mother)
Kim Myung-jae (Shin Ki-jong)
Park Baek-li (Black Bird)
Chi Dae-han (il padre di Yeo-min/Yeo-min’s father)
Produced by Seo Hyun-seok, Hwang Ji-yong
Access

when i turned nine regYun In-ho

Born 1963, Pusan (South Korea). After studying Film and Drama at UCLA, director Yun In-ho has established himself as a talented director with deep understanding in diverse subjects through his previous films BARRICADE and MAYONNAISE. Moreover, he received a warm review from the critics as a director who has excellent ability in smoothly unravelling complicated conflicts between characters. After 4 years of absence, director Yun In-ho returns with WHEN I TURNED NINE.

Director’s statement

“The motivation of making a film like WHEN I TURNED NINE started from very personal reason. I had to ask myself: ‘Why do I make films only for the audiences?’. Am I perfectly happy with a film that only satisfies its audiences? And I concluded this thought to make a film that I like and makes me happy this time. And I met WHEN I TURNED NINE. During shooting, I had so much fun with kids and I could naturally put my own childhood into the movie. I also wondered if a film that makes me happy could also make audiences happy. Now I am very satisfy with the result and actually more than satisfy to see audiences reaction to this film. My only hope now is that kids from WHEN I TURNED NINE could grow up well with full of dreams”.

Production
Hwang-ki-sung Films

World sales
Festival contact
Cinema Service
5th Fl. Heung-kuk Bldg. 43-1 Jooja-Dong, Joong-Gu, Seoul 100-240 - Korea
phone +82 221928731~7
fax +82 221928790
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.cinemaservice.com