logo 2004

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2004 - 17.24 July

Sections & Films

THE MIDDLE OF THE WORLD

Category: Edition 2004

Synopsis

A family cycles across Brazil looking for a job for the father and a better life for all of them. They start their journey in the hinterland of Paraíba in the poor Northeastern region of the country. The obstinate, illiterate truck driver Romão feels that it is his fate to be allowed to earn a thousand reais a month – a considerable amount by Brazilian standards. Romão needs that amount to maintain his wife Rose and five children, including a rebellious teenager and a baby. Obsessed by this idea, the family sets off on four bicycles. In a period of six months, they travel 3200 kilometres, suffer hunger and thirst, encounter indifference and solidarity and learn strange religious customs and exuberant feasts in the unknown backwaters of Brazil.

Original Title O CAMINHO DAS NUVENS
Category Official Competition
Section Y Gen
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 85'
Production Year 2003
Nationality Brazil
Directed by Vicente Amorim
Screenplay David França Mendes
Script David França Mendes
Director of photography Gustavo Hadba
Editor Pedro Amorim
Production Design Jean-Louis Leblanc
Costume Design Cristina Kangussu, Valeria Stefani
Sound Ricardo Reis
Music André Abujamra
Main cast Cláudia Abreu (Rose)
Wagner Moura (Romão)
Ravi Ramos Lacerda (Antônio)
Manoel Sebastião Alves Filho (Rodney)
Felipe Newton Silva Rodrigues (Clévis)
Cícera Cristina Almino de Lima (Suelena)
Produced by Lucy Barreto, Luiz Carlos Barreto, Bruno Barreto
Access

the middle of the world regVicente Amorim

The son of a diplomat, Vicente Amorim was born in 1966 in Wien (Austria), lived in England, the United States, the Netherlands, and in Brazil where he lived in Brasilia and Rio de Janeiro. He studied Economics before choosing to follow his passion: film. At the age of 17, he began to work as an intern for Leon Hirszman on the film IMAGENS DO INCONSCIENTE. Then he worked as assistant camera, sound assistant, and in post-production. He was an assistant director on 23 feature films and directed five shorts and a half minute 3D animated short that received various international awards. The short was acquired by the Guggenheim Museum in New York. He has directed over 200 commercials and music videos. His feature-length debut was his documentary TOO MUCH BRAZIL (2000 NORDESTES), filmed while he was preparing and in preparation for THE MIDDLE OF THE WORLD, his first narrative feature film.

Director’s statement

"I have always thought about of making a film that was very Brazilian. […] One of my favorite genres is Western from John Ford to Sergio Leone, which focuses on stories that are only possible in a determined geographical context. When I discovered the story of Cícero (Romão in the film) and of his wife Rose, I thought that it would only be possible to tell that typically Brazilian plot with the Northeast as the starting point. I realized that in its essence there was a drama with the authenticity of a western, a story from the Northeast in its origin, but with conflicts and character development that are universal. And maybe what caught my attention the most was the fact that it was such a recurrent story – the migration from the Northeast to the South – that happened in such a different and extraordinary manner. I was touched by the fact that the characters in real life believed in the dream. Romão didn’t just want a job, but a salary of one thousand reais. He wanted a dignified existence, beyond mere survival. He didn’t go to Rio just for a job – he went after a dream of a decent life. A beautiful story to tell”.

Production
World sales
Festival contact
LC Barreto Productions
R. do Passeio 70, sala 502, Rio de Janeiro RJ 20021-290 - Brazil
phone +55 21 22408161
fax +55 21 22408161
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.lcbarreto.com.br