immagine gff 2022
logo 2018

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2018 - 20.28 july

Sections & Films

CIRCLEEN, COCO AND THE WILD RHINOCEROS

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
Cirkeline finds a bestie with the airs of a princess, and Ingolf meets a rhinoceros who’s fed up with always being the little one. They set off together on a journey that teaches them that being in charge isn’t always a piece of cake and that even the teeniest of rhinos can prove the greatest of heroes.

Original Title CIRKELINE, COCO OG DET VILDE NÆSEHORN
Category Out of competition
Section Elements +3
Tipology Animation, Feature Film
Duration 64'
Production Year 2018
Nationality Denmark
Directed by Jannik Hastrup
Screenplay Kit Goetz, Nanna Westh, Trine Breum, Jannik Hastrup
Editor Jannik Hastrup
Animation Jannik Hastrup
Music Moussa Diallo
Original Voices Magdalena Nonsgjogv Trantou
Yasmin Cekic
Efe Vinter Alis
Produced by Marie Bro

regista Jannik HastrupJANNIK HASTRUP
Born in 1941, Denmark. During the sixties and seventies, Jannik Hastrup, Denmark's grand master of animation, produced and directed about sixty animated short films, among them are the Danish classics BENNY'S BATHTUB (1970) and CIRCLEEN (1967-71). SAMSON & SALLY (1984) and the Cannes Junior winner WAR OF THE BIRDS (1990) became international festival hits, selling worldwide. While his films appeal to all ages, the biopic HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN AND THE LONG SHADOW (1997) was his first film designated for a mature audience. THE BOY WHO WANTED TO BE A BEAR (2003) was an international success which won numerous prizes. The popular elf Circleen from Hastrup's 60s shorts made her feature film debut with CIRCLEEN - CITY MICE (1998) which was awarded in Chicago and Montevideo, while the sequel CIRCLEEN - MICE AND ROMANCE (2000) was selected for Berlin Kinderfilmfest. Jannik Hastrup and Flemming Quist Møller's A TALE OF TWO MOZZIES (2007) and MINI AND THE MOZZIES both participated in Generation Kplus in Berlin.

Director's statement
With our new CIRCKELINE film we invite children to join us on an adventure with love and friendship as its primary themes and where the little dramas, predicaments and feelings that unfurl on the silver screen will be familiar to little children – and to us, too, if we remember… CIRKELINE, COCO AND THE WILD RHINOCEROS is made first and foremost to entertain the youngest children, their parents and ourselves. In making the film, I trusted the child I still bear inside me. I have always tried to keep a door open onto my own childhood, and watching my own grandchildren and great-grandchildren reminds me of it all the time. The plot stems from the old Cirkeline films in which play, friendship and solidarity with the little ones form a natural part of life, no matter where you’re from or what you look like.

production
Dansk Tegnefilm
(Denmark)
www.tegnefilm.com

world sales
Attraction Distribution
(Canada)
www.attractiondistribution.ca

festival contact
Danish Film Institute
(Denmark)
www.dfi.dk