immagine gff 2022
logo 2018

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2018 - 20.28 july

Sections & Films

ROSIE & MOUSSA

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
Rosie and her mom move to the other side of town. In her new apartment building, Rosie meets Moussa. Together, the two of them wander off to the roof, even though it’s strictly forbidden. On the rooftop, Moussa promises Rosie he will go with her when she visits her dad, who is in prison. Rosie wants nothing more than to bring her mom and dad back together, but will she succeed? Because mom doesn’t want anything more to do with dad... and to make matters worse, she falls in love with another man.

Original Title ROSIE EN MOUSSA
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2018
Nationality Belgium
Directed by Dorothée Van Den Berghe
Screenplay Michael De Cock
Based on the book "Rosie en Moussa"
by Michael De Cock, Judith Vanistendael
Director of photography Jan Vancaillie
Editor Marie-Hélène Dozo
Costume Design Joëlle Meerbergen
Main cast Savannah Vandendriessche
Imad Borji
Ruth Beeckmans
Titus de Voogdt
Produced by Bo De Group, Helena Vlogaert

regista Dorothee van den BergheDOROTHÉE VAN DEN BERGHE
Dorothée van den Berghe (1968) is born in Ghent, Belgium. She studied sculpture and film at Sint-Lucas Academy in Brussels. After making several shorts with successful festival turnout (such as BRUXELLES MINUIT, 1998) and a couple of TV movies, Dorothée completed her first feature GIRL. Depicting an intimate portrait of a young girl, this film was released in 2002, and won the ‘Prix de la Jeunesse’ and the ‘Prix de CICAE/ARTE’ at the Locarno Int’l Film Festival. While focusing on her second feature, Dorothée continued working as a director on other shorts: ABSOLUTELY AFRO 2006, ZOE, 2007. MY QUEEN KARO (2009) her second feature is partly based on Dorothées own memories of the 1970’s in Amsterdam. This film was also selected for the résidence du Festival (Cinéfondation, Cannes Film Festival) and won the ‘prix de la jeunesse’ IFF Creteil des femmes, Plateau award best young actress. In the following years she directed the documentaries OFF SPRING (2010) and 31 STOPS (2014). Together with screenwriter Michael De Cock, with whom she made her third feature film ROSIE & MOUSSA, she's developing her fourth feature film ALLER/RETOUR. A film about an unexpected friendship between a truck driver and a transmigrant.

Director's statement
Two years ago, I wandered in a children’s bookshop with my six-year old son. The cover of a book displaying a joyful duo, Rosie and Moussa, storming up a staircase caught our eye. While I read it, I glanced at my son. Isn’t this story too severe for him? Divorced parents, a dad in jail? – No, mommy, keep reading it’s all so thrilling!

production
festival contact
Caviar
(Belgium)
www.caviar.tv

world sales
Attraction Distribution
(Canada)
www.attractiondistribution.ca