immagine gff 2022
logo 2018

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2018 - 20.28 july

Sections & Films

THE PIGEON

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
Yusuf is a youngster living with his sister and brother in one of Adana’s suburbs. On the roof of the house where they live, he passionately feeds and raises the pigeons bequeathed by his father. Yusuf can find peace and himself only there, above the alleys of the slum, with his beloved pigeons. Finding a foothold in the dystopian world outside is more difficult.

Original Title GÜVERCIN
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 76'
Production Year 2018
Nationality Turkey
Directed by Banu Sivaci
Screenplay Banu Sivaci
Director of photography Arda Yildiran
Editor Mesut Ulutas
Production Design Tuğba Gül Poyraz
Music Canset Özge Can
Main cast Kemal Burak Alper
Ruhi Sari
Michael Elia Kamal
Demet Genc
Mazlum Taşkiran
Evren Erler
Emin Özdenvar
Melik Askan
Maverdi
Produced by Mesut Ulutaş

regista Banu SivaciBANU SIVACI
Banu Sıvacı was born in Adana in 1987. After receiving her bachelor degree from the Faculty of Fine Arts Painting Department at Çukurova University, she worked on various films as an assistant director and directed six short films. THE PIGEON is her debut feature film.

Director’s statement
I lived my childhood in Adana, in the district that I mention in the film in 1990s. I was closely acquainted with the people breeding pigeons at their roofs included our own roof. Over the years, I recognized that such passions are mostly common in the districts where difficult living conditions prevail. Breeding pigeons is a world of passion that suffering people created for themselves to fill in time in it. This is an escape. Based on the expectations and dreams defeated by the economic obstacles, people are forced to work hard within the production system. The ones who are out of this circle are either bound to live off illegally or to be destined to be all alone. “The Pigeon” explores the psychological states of the people living within these crises. Yusuf’s story is a manifestation of the destruction of the purity and the dreams under today’s difficult conditions.

production
Anagraf Film
(Turkey)
www.anagraffilm.com

world sales
festival contact
Wide
(France)
www.widemanagement.com