immagine gff 2022
logo 2018

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2018 - 20.28 july

Sections & Films

I KILL GIANTS

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
Barbara Thorson is a teenage girl who chooses to escape the realities of school and a drab family life by retreating into her magical world of Titans and Giants. She devotes every moment of time she can in researching all the variations of giants, learning how to lay traps and kill them. Barbara’s giant-hunting is perpetually interrupted by her requirement to attend school, where she is an outcast, seen as a geeky-weirdo. But with the help of her new friend Sophia and her school therapist, Mrs. Molle, Barbara will learn to battle her Giants and face her fears – tackling the mean bullies at school, her sister and her difficult home life.

Original Title I KILL GIANTS
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 104'
Production Year 2017
Nationality Belgium, United Kingdom, USA
Directed by Anders Walter
Screenplay Joe Kelly, J.M. Ken Nimura
Based on the graphic novel Joe Kelly, J.M. Ken Nimura
Director of photography Rasmus Heise
Editor Lars Wissing
Production Design Susie Cullen
Costume Design Charlotte Willems
Music Laurent Perez Del Mar
Main cast Madison Wolfe
Imogen Poots
Zoe Saldana
Sydney Wade
Rory Jackson
Produced by Chris Columbus, Michael Barnathan, Kim Magnusson, Adrian Politowski, Nick Spicer, Kyle Franke

regista Anders WalterANDERS WALTER
Born in Arhus, Denmark, Anders Walter is an OSCAR winning film director and screenwriter. He won the Academy Award for his short film HELIUM (2014) that was also screened in Giffoni in 2014. Another of his short films 9 METER was shortlisted for an OSCAR in 2013. Originally an illustrator at DDB Needham in Denmark, Anders attended the School of Visual Arts in New York for Film. He is also the founder of the studio The Dance Palace. He has also directed more than 25 music videos for various Danish artists. Anders is both a voting member of The Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences and the Danish Film Academy. I KILL GIANTS is his first feature film.

Director’s statement
I was really touched and moved when I first read the script for I KILL GIANTS. It is funny, it had me laughing out loud many times. The story looks at fantasy through a real-world lens and make it feel real because of the level of emotions. The strength of the story is obviously the emotional one of Barbara and my ambition as a director is to prioritize her inner journey, since this is what makes the story so compelling. This is not just a story about bravery and courage. It is a tale of friendship and family, of growing up and facing your demons, and of learning to cope with any situation that is thrown at you. Barbara’s growth through the story should be inspiring to every young girl, boy, father, mother, or grandparents. Barbara resonates in you with such a force that it is impossible to shake her off. At its core, I KILL GIANTS is a character piece and it is important for me to really emphasize that. There are some characters in here that care so much that your heart literally aches. There are characters in this film who bully and act tough but they don’t come close to the real giants in Barbara’s life. These young women set examples to us all on how to support and empower one another instead of tearing each other down.

production
1492 Pictures
(USA)
---
Umedia
(Belgium)
www.umedia.eu

world sales
XYZ Films
(USA)
www.xyzfilms.com

festival contact