Official Competition Giffoni 2018

BASILEUS - THE KINGS SCHOOL

Category: Edition 2018

Synopsis
The documentary, set in the Federico Fellini media school in the San Basilio district in Rome, tells about the training courses for a group of teenagers and what it means to be teachers in uncommon contexts such as those in the suburban schools. A journey into class life through choral voices and faces that show us an incredibly dense world to discover, exuding the vitality of teenagers, hopes, dreams, but also burdened with difficulties, fears and uncertainty towards the future. In this microcosm, the strong and peculiar relation between teachers and pupils emerges, all different in their identities and personalities.

Original Title BASILEUS - LA SCUOLA DEI RE
Italian Title BASILEUS - LA SCUOLA DEI RE
Category Official Competition
Section GEx Doc
Tipology Documentary, Feature Film
Duration 78'
Production Year 2017
Nationality Italy
Directed by Alessandro Marinelli
Screenplay Alessandro Marinelli, Simona Messina
Director of photography Alessandro Marinelli
Editor Alessandro Marinelli, Simona Messina
Main cast Aurora Marfurt
Gabriel Grilletto
Marco Lanci
Martina D'Orazio
Christian De Virgilio
Dennis Cesaroni
Francesco Palermo
Alessandra Sordini
Produced by Sandro Bartolozzi

regista Alessandro MarinelliALESSANDRO MARINELLI
Director and Editor, he graduated from the NUCT (New University of Cinema of Rome) and later graduated in Cinema at the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome (RUFA). Since 2003, he has worked as a director and editor on shorts, documentaries, feature films and video clips. Since 2010, he mainly worked on documentaries that express his great interest towards real life. With the documentary PINO MASCIARI - THE STORY OF A CALABRIAN ENTREPRENEUR he won several awards, including the Ilaria Alpi Doc Rai 2014 Prize as best documentary.

Director’s statement
“If you lose the toughest kids the school is no longer a school. It is a hospital that cares for the healthy and rejects the sick”. Don Lorenzo Milani. From this assumption comes a long research work that questions the role of public school in Italian society, especially in difficult contexts such as those of the suburb. The outskirts of the big cities are places where, using Pasolini's words, "there are lumps of alive, imperfect, disorderly and free humanity." Exploring its microcosm means, in a sense, to describe the complexity of our present, the direction that Italian society is taking. In fact, in the "class" universe, there are already all the dynamics of our contemporaneity. To tell the world of teenagers realistically and without forcing, I decided to follow my characters without the use of face-to-face interviews. They move spontaneously within the classroom and the contexts in which they are used to living; I look at them in order to capture real and immediate sensations and emotions. The overall portrait of boys and their lives is gradually composed through their voices and actions. The way of observation, in this sense, seemed to me the only expressive way possible in interfering with that dense and varied context that is the world of school. The film, therefore, is primarily a dive into class life that points to the actuality and complexity of the issues dealt with in it and, together, to describe the delicate passage from adolescence to adulthood. Within this story, there are so many protagonists, boys and teachers who I have decided to tell, because each one represents a different and unrepeatable soul, and because through this chorality we tried to emphasize the complexity of their lives and of their growth paths.

production
festival contact
Clipper Media
(Italy)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.