immagine gff 2022

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Films

WHEN HITLER STOLE PINK RABBIT

Category: Edition 2022

Nine-year-old Anna is living in Germany, and the year is 1933. It is one of the country's most troubled eras. But she's too busy with her schoolwork and friends to notice Adolf Hitler's face glaring from political posters plastered all over Berlin. And she's never even paid much attention to the fact that she's Jewish. Being Jewish, she thought, was just something that you inherited from your parents and grandparents, like the color of your hair. One day, she is forced to take notice. Her father is unaccountably, horrifyingly missing. Soon after, she and her brother, Max, are hurried out of Germany by their mother with alarming secrecy that Anna does not fully understand. At last, they are reunited in Switzerland, and Anna and family embark on an adventure that extends over the borders of many countries. They are refugees, and Anna soon discovers that it requires special skills to stay a few steps ahead of the Nazis.

Original Title Als Hitler das rosa kaninche n stahl
Italian Title Quando Hitler rubò il coniglio rosa
Category Out of competition
Section Parental Experience
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 119'
Production Year 2019
Nationality Germany, Switzerland
Directed by Caroline Link
Screenplay Anna Brüggemann, Judith Kerr, Caroline Link
Based on “When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit” by Judith Kerr
Director of photography Bella Halben
Editor Patricia Rommel
Production Design Miyuki Kitagawa, Michal Soun, Cora Wimbauer
Costume Design Barbara Grupp
Sound Roman Schwartz
Make up Miriam Blank, Nanni Gebhardt-Seele, Nicole Zingg
Music Volker Bertelmann
Main cast Riva Krymalowski, Marinus Hohmann, Carla Juri, Oliver Masucci, Justus von Dohnányi, Ursula Werner
Talent Manager Daniela Tolkien
Produced by Jochen Laube, Fabian Maubach

hitler REGCaroline Link

Born in Bad Nauheim in 1964, after receiving her diploma, Caroline Link moved to the United States. She returned to Germany in 1984 to take a study course at the Bavaria Studios after which she worked as assistant to Dominic Graf. From 1986 to 1989 she studied at the Hochschule Für Fernsehen und Film di Monaco, going on to work as a screenwriter with the TV series DER FAHNDER. In 1992 she directed the television film for children KALLE DER TRAUMER for the ZDF. BEYOND SILENCE, her first feature, was presented at GFF 1997. In 2003 her third film NOWHERE IN AFRICA (NIRGENDWO IN AFRIKA) won the Oscar as Best Foreign Language Film. In the following years Caroline directed A YEAR AGO IN WINTER (2008) and EXIT MARRAKECH (2013) both screened in Giffoni, ALL ABOUT ME (2018), WHEN HITLER STOLE PINK RABBIT (2019).

Director’s statement

“Judith Kerr wrote this book in 1971, and it came to Germany a few years later and I first read it when I was 10 or 11 years old. Her book handled a challenging and dark period of German history. She also managed to show what happened [to Jewish people] in a very optimistic, positive, light way. The novel was sad and moving and, at the same time, light. I thought this was very unusual for stories that take place during that time, so why not make a movie that works the same way? Of course, some people told me that I had to dramatise the story a little bit because not a lot happens in the plot. The family doesn’t experience any harm or immediate danger. Let’s make something up, I thought, because if the book worked, let’s try to make the movie in the same way. The screenplay has depth and is profound, and is told in the Judith Kerr style.” (from Women and Hollywood interview)

production
Sommerhaus Filmproduktion
Warner Bros. Film Productions Germany

international distribution
Beta Cinema
(Germany/Germania)
www.betacinema.com

Italian distribution
festival contact
Altre Storie
(Italy/Italia)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.