immagine gff 2022

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Films

A CHIARA

Category: Edition 2022

The Guerrasio family and their friends gather to celebrate Claudio and Carmela’s oldest daughter’s 18th birthday. There is a healthy rivalry between the birthday girl and her 16-year-old sister Chiara, as they compete on the dancefloor. It is a happy occasion, and the close-knit family is in top form. However, everything changes the next day when Claudio disappears. Chiara starts to investigate; as she gets closer to the truth, she is forced to decide what kind of future she wants for herself.

Original Title A CHIARA
Category Out of competition
Section Parental Experience
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 121'
Production Year 2021
Nationality France, Italy
Directed by Jonas Carpignano
Screenplay Jonas Carpignano
Director of photography Tim Curtin
Editor Affonso Gonçalves
Production Design Marco Ascanio Viarigi
Costume Design Nicoletta Taranta
Sound Giuseppe Tripodi
Make up Lisa Mustafa, Alessandra Vita
Music Dan Romer, Benh Zeitlin
Main cast Carmela Fumo, Swamy Rotolo, Claudio Rotolo, Giorgia Rotolo, Grecia Rotolo, Koudous Seihon, Pio Amato, Antonio Rotolo, Vincenzo Rotolo, Antonina Fumo, Giusi D'Uscio, Patrizia Amato, Concetta Grillo
Produced by Jon Coplon, Paolo Carpignano, Ryan Zacarias, Jonas Carpignano, Julie Billy, Carole Scotta, Katrin Pors, Eva Jakobsen
Production Stayblack, Haut et Court, Arte, Rai Cinema, con il contributo del Ministero della Cultura, con il sostegno di Eurimages, CNC

a chiara regJonas Carpignano

Jonas Carpignano was born in 1984 and grew up between New York City and Rome. His first feature film MEDITERRANEA debuted at the Cannes Film Festival - Semaine de la Critique in 2015 before receiving the award for the best directorial debut of 2015 by the National Board of Review and Gotham Independent Film Award for breakthrough. His second feature film A CIAMBRA had its world premiere at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival - Directors Fortnight where it won the Europa Cinema Label prize for best European film. The film won numerous awards and prizes in addition to earning Carpignano a nomination for best director at the Independent Spirit Awards. A CIAMBRA was chosen to represent Italy for best foreign film at the 2018 Academy Awards and won two David Di Donatello awards including best director. His third film A CHIARA had its world premiere in the Directors Fortnight at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival and won the Europa Labels prize for Best European Film.

Director’s Statement

"I wanted to tell the mafia through a different perspective: I knew from the beginning that I would not have made a gangster movie about the criminal activity of Gioia Tauro. The idea started when a person I barely knew became a fugitive. I knew his 8-year-old daughter and I saw the aftermath that event had on her. I decided at that moment that I wanted to write a film about the consequences that the mafia world has on a girl and her family [...] Often the most spectacular aspects of that universe are told through newspapers, films or dramas. In ten years in Gioia Tauro I have never seen a shooting. For me it was important to downsize the spectacular component and give more importance to the human relationships that exist inside and outside this context. " (from an interview with Vanity Fair)

Production
Stayblack
Haut et Court
Arte
Rai Cinema

international distribution
MK2 Films
(France/Francia)
www.mk2films.com

italian distribution
festival contact
Lucky Red