immagine gff 2022

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Films

LAST FILM SHOW

Category: Edition 2022

Samay, 9, is the son of a tea seller, in a small train station in rural India, and a young mother who cooks divinely. When Samay enters a cinema theater for the first time, he is mesmerized: in the magic of images, the child understands that everything that happens on the big screen starts from 'light'. The spell of the cinema takes him to the point that, in the following days, Samay, instead of going to school, goes back to the cinema until he is thrown out because he doesn't have a ticket. The child does not give up and bribes the cinema projectionist: Samay will be able to see the films for free in the projection booth in exchange for the delicious lunches prepared by his mother. Thanks to Samay's stories and imagination, even his friends are captured by the magic of cinema to the point of building, far from the eyes of adults, a rudimentary projector. But will Samay's uncompromising father be able to understand his son's passion for cinema?

Original Title Last film show
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 110'
Production Year 2021
Nationality France, India, USA
Directed by Pan Nalin
Screenplay Pan Nalin
Director of photography Linesh Desai
Editor Shreyas Beltangdy, Pavan Bhat
Music Cyril Morin
Main cast Bhavin Rabari, Bhavesh Shrimali, Richa Meena, Dipen Raval, Paresh Mehta
Produced by Pan Nalin, Dheer Momaya, Marc Duale
Production Monsoon Films Private Limited (India)
Access

PanNalin 2Pan Nalin

Pan Nalin is a writer, director, and producer of fiction movies and documentaries. He is a self-taught filmmaker who achieved worldwide critical and commercial success with his debut feature SAMSARA (2001). His second feature, the romantic film VALLEY OF FLOWERS (2006), co-produced by Japan, France and Germany, is still a hit on international digital platforms. With ANGRY INDIAN GODDESSES (2015) he won the Audience Choice Award First-Runner-up at Toronto International Film Festival and the BNL People's Choice Award at Rome Film Fest. LAST FILM SHOW, autobiographical in part, and his first film in Gujarati language, received the Best Picture, Golden Spike, at Seminci 66th Valladolid International Film Festival 2021 in Spain, the Audience Choice Award First-Runner-up at the Tribeca Film Festival 2021, and the Audience Award at the Mill Valley Film Festival. Nalin has also directed several documentaries (with BBC, Discovery, Canal Plus and other major international networks), including the award-winning AYURVEDA: ART OF BEING, FAITH CONNECTIONS. Among his most recent works, the first co-production between New Zealand and India, THE DISAPPEARANCE OF EVA HANSEN, a thriller set in the Himalayas with David Wenham and Emmanuelle Beart.

Director’s statement

“I am a cinema lover, I watch everything, [..] I animated film clubs, I have a collection of about 35,000 films on DVD and BluRay, I attended over 200 film festivals both as director and as a juror. During the filming of LAST FILM SHOW I realized how much I was changing and how much cinema was changing. I slowly started to go back to my roots and, above all, to my numerous and notorious encounters with cinema and its magic. LAST FILM SHOW was born from this introspective turmoil. [...] The world is going through terrible times, an era like we have never seen before. With this film I want to share feelings of hope and freshness. I want to celebrate the beauty of our planet and show how much simpler our life used to be. In a short span of a hundred years, what have we done to this planet? What have we done to our souls? For me LAST FILM SHOW is a reflection on all these issues. A call to awareness. It is a story about the birth, life, death and rebirth of cinema. LAST FILM SHOW is also a celebration of nature and how we can live in harmony with rains, lightning, lakes or lions. "

Production
Monsoon Films Private Limited (India)

www.monsoon-films.com

International distribution 
Orange Studio (France)

www.orange-studio.fr/internationalsales

Italian distribution 
Festival contact
Medusa Film (Italy)

www.medusa.it