immagine gff 2022

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Films

LA TRAVIATA, MY BROTHERS AND I

Category: Edition 2022

Nour, a 14-year-old boy, is enjoying the beginning of the summer holidays in the South of France. He is the youngest of four brothers. They live together in a council estate, taking turns caring for their mother who is in a coma. She used to love Italian Opera, so Nour plays it for her, and develops a passion for that music. Between community work and rising tensions at home, Nour dreams of escaping to a faraway place. When he crosses paths with Sarah, an opera singer teaching summer classes, he finally finds the opportunity to come out of his shell and explore new horizons.

Original Title Mes Frères et Moi
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 108'
Production Year 2021
Nationality France
Directed by Yohan Manca
Screenplay Yohan Manca
loosely based on the play Pourquoi mes frères et moi on est parti…/Why We Left, My Brothers &I
by Hédi Tillette de Clermont-Tonnerre
Director of photography Marco Graziaplena
Editor Clémence Diard
Production Design Jonathan Israël
Costume Design Nadia Acimi
Sound Cédric Berger, Matthieu Michaux, Olivier Guillaume
Music Bachar Mar-Khalifé
Main cast Maël Rouin-Berrandou, Judith Chemla, Dali Benssalah, Sofian Khammes, Moncef Farfar, Luc Schwarz, Olivier Loustau, Olga Milshtein, Loretta Fajeau-Leffray
Talent Manager Youna De Peretti, Arda
Produced by Julien Madon
Production A Single Man Productions (France/Francia)

Yohan MANCAYohan Manca

Yohan Manca started out as an actor and theater director. He was only 18 when he staged Hédi Tillette de Clermont-Tonnerre’s play, Pourquoi mes frères et moi on est parti (“Why We Left, my Brothers & I.”) His collaboration with this author continued for several years, while working on other projects, in particular with Mohamed Kacimi (Moi la mort je l’aime comme vous aimez la vie). In conjunction with his stage work, Yohan Manca acted in several feature films, in French and Spanish. In 2012, he wrote and directed his first short film, LE SAC (THE BAG), with Corinne Masiero, which was selected for numerous festivals. His second short film, HEDI & SARAH, starring Judith Chemla and Thomas Scimeca, resonated in the media by addressing the subject of harassment. It was nominated for the Best Short Film Award from the “Syndicat de la Critique” and was awarded the “Aide après Réalisation” (post filming subsidy) from the CNC. His third short film, RED STAR, with Abel Jafri and Judith Chemla, was part of the official selection at the 2021 Clermont-Ferrand festival. In 2020, Yohan Manca shot his first feature film, LA TRAVIATA, MY BROTHERS & I, which he also wrote, produced by “A Single Man”. Yohan Manca is currently writing his second feature, PIRATE n° 7, based on the work of Élise Arfi, and also produced by Julien Madon.

Director’s statement

“The film it’s loosely adapted from a play Why We Left, My Brothers & I, by Hédi Tillette de Clermont-Tonnerre, which I had brought to the stage and performed when I was 17. It’s made up of four monologues, recited by four brothers. One of its themes is the encounter of a character with art, when nothing predisposed him to that. And this idea resonated with my experience at the time. I put a lot of personal memories in this film, of my youth, of my childhood. Like the four brothers in my script, I come from working-class neighborhoods, south of Seine-et-Marne and Pantin, East of Paris. I am also of Mediterranean origin, Spanish from my mother, Italian from my father. I wanted to deal with those origins, and this immigration from the Mediterranean basin. I wanted to direct the viewer’s full attention towards an eternal subject: the way art can save us. I want to convey the life of working-class neighborhoods far from the images continuously conveyed by the 24-hour news channels, which only treat these territories as dangerous places, populated by thugs. My approach was not documentary either, as filmmakers such as Abdellatif Kechiche and Tony Gatlif have already done this quite well. My decision was to show what is beautiful and romantic in these territories. So hand-held camera and digital filming were out of the question. I wanted to avoid conveying the feeling of urgency in an area that is always shown to be hostile -- and even at war. I shot with a tripod, with a soft, assertive point of view, and I used the warm southern light, on 16-millimeter film. I find that it makes everything much more radiant and poetic.”

Production
A Single Man Productions (France)
www.monsoon-films.com

International distribution
Charades (France)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Italian distribution
Festival contact
I Wonder Pictures (Italy)
www.iwonderpictures.it