GIFFONI50PLUS - 21.31 JULY 2021

Films

CHRISTMAS IN THE JUNGLE

Category: Edition 2021

Moving from Europe to exotic Indonesia has proven to be quite a challenge for Paula’s family. Her Mother has a hard time adapting to the country. Her sister, Kate, is acting up as a rebellious stubborn teen. And her father's workaholic nature is causing tension in the family that has even resulted in talk of divorce. Paula realizes that the only thing that can save her family is a Christmas miracle, but there’s no Christmas in Indonesia. Paula’s new friend, a local boy Akim offers a ray of hope by telling Paula about shamans who live in the jungle. There might even be a Christmas shaman somewhere there - the one who makes miracles happen! Even the recent uproar over lost tourists and rumours of cannibalism cannot stop the two kids from deciding to go into the jungle. And so the adventure begins! Who said there’s no Christmas in the jungle?

Original Title Kalėdos Džiunglėse (Latvia), Jõulud Džunglis (Estonia)
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2021
Nationality Estonia, Latvia
Directed by Jaak Kilmi
Screenplay Lote Eglite
Director of photography Aigars Sermukss
Editor Hendrik Mägar
Production Design Katrin Sipelgas
Costume Design Julija Volkinsteine
Sound Matiss Krisjanis, Jevgenijs Naciss
Make up Lea Bratusek
Music Karlis Auzans
Main cast Rebeka Suksta
Brydden Fablo Escobar
Tõnu Kark
Saara Pius
Paäru Oja
Produced by Roberts Vinovskis
Production Stellar Film (Estonia)

jaak kilmi 77248948Jaak Kilmi

Jaak was born in 1973. Graduated from the Department of Culture of Tallinn University and majored in film directing, he has (co-)directed and produced a string of successful short films; a number of documentary films and five feature films. His films have been awarded internationally and have enjoyed successful theater runs in Estonia. He has lectured film history and directing at the University of Tallinn and Tallinn Art Academy. He has curated and created visuals for several museum expositions.

Director’s statement
“Our film is based on the conviction that Christmas doesn’t necessarily have to be a naive fairy tale. I believe that a Christmas movie for children should offer them a piece of adventure, bravery, sadness, danger, and a happy ending. I believe that all (or at least most) children adore exotic adventures and are thrilled to see kids like them doing something that the viewer can only fantasize about. The main characters in our film go on a trip that seems to be full of fears and their road brings them to weird and dangerous places. But, for me, the adventurous jungle trip is as important as the motivation and outcome of our characters - saving their family harmony. Without making it cheesy for the grown-up audience.
Our script is based on real travelogues and blogs, interviews and conversations with people who know the jungles, tribes and conditions in Indonesia and Papua. Most of our info comes from the Borneo/Kalimantan island travelogue of my friend, cultural anthropologist and Estonian filmmaker Terje Toomistu. She speaks Indonesian (bahasa Indonesia) and loves the local culture. I believe that detailed knowledge of local life enriches and makes our story full of fantasy and believability.
For a young viewer, it’s important that the film be a carrying path to a world of morally and ecologically sustainable values. The question is the tone one uses. I’ve wanted to make a film about kids (and with kids) for a long time. I like kids’ playfulness. Both in their activities and group dynamics. I believe that this is the way to keep a children’s film genuine and alive. I think my documentary background gives me the courage to direct scenes in the way dictated by the scene and situation.
I wanted the general tone of my film to be bright. The strange land where the children end up will overwhelm them with its bright colors and visual details. The shots in the jungle are juxtaposed by the sunny rainforest and bare and bleak vastness of the goldmine.”

Production
Stellar Film (Estonia)
www.stellar.ee 

Production
festival contact
Studio Locomotive (Latvia)
www.locomotive.lv