Film edition 2021

I DON'T WANNA DANCE

Category: Generator +13

After living with their aunt for two years, fifteen-year-old Joey and his younger brother move back in with their mother to their delight. At first everything goes well: the house is tidy; the fridge is filled. Daphne has a job and Joey finds his place in a dance group. It promises to be a beautiful summer. But the family joy soon gets under pressure when Daphne falls back into her old patterns. Joey does everything to keep child services out. But how long can he keep up this destructive dance with his mother, at the expenses of his own happiness? I DON’T WANNA DANCE is a true story, told and acted by the boy who experienced it himself.

Original Title I Don’t Wanna Dance
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Nationality Netherlands
Directed by Flynn von Kleist
Screenplay Jeroen Scholten van Aschat
Director of photography Tim Kerbosch
Editor Fatih Tura
Production Design Tim Balk
Costume Design Josine Immoos
Sound RegardI Brahim
Music Terence Dunn, Nao Ft.6 Lack, Rina Mushonga, Boef, Afro Bross & Kalibwoy
Main cast Yfendo VanPraag
Romana Vrede
Daniël Kolf
Eli Yahderandamie
Chardonnay Vermeer
Sean William Bogaers
Aisa Winter
Benjamin Vlijt
Trinity Jade O’brien
Lilith Vermeulen
Mike Reus
Genasario Koorndijk
Produced by Guusje van Deuren, Rianne Poodt, Harmen Kreulen
Production The Rogues (Netherlands)

Flynn von Kleist 1Flynn von Kleist

Flynn was born in Amsterdam and grew up in West Cork, Ireland. In 2009 he graduated as a director from the National Film School of Ireland. That same year he moved back to Amsterdam where he graduated from the Film Academy in 2013 in the field of Fiction Direction. His graduation film LIQUID STEEL was screened at many international festivals and won awards in Seoul, St. Petersburg and Oberhausen, among others.
Since graduating, Flynn has directed the short films EMPTY (KORT!), PATAGONIA (ONE NIGHT STAND) and CROW’S NEST. Among other things, CROW’S NEST won the award for Best Dutch Film at the Oscar-qualifying Go Short Festival in Nijmegen and cashed in on three of its six nominations at Shortcutz 2020 (Best Director, Best Actor and Best Cinematography). In addition to fiction films, Flynn made a series of short documentaries called FUTURITY, about children with a special relationship with music. From the longest part, BECAUSE MY NAME IS YFENDO, a film plan for Flynn’s first feature emerged, which he developed with screenwriter Jeroen Scholten van Aschat into the screenplay for his debut feature I DON’T WANNA DANCE.
Currently, Flynn is working with producer Topkapi on the production of documentary series THE PSYCHOLOGY OF CON ARTISTS and THE SNOW MAN. He is also working with producer The Rogues and screenwriter Matthijs Bockting on the development of the feature film WOOD.

Director’s statement
“The story is set in Amsterdam Noord, Yfendo’s home base. It’s not unfamiliar territory for me; my grandfather lived there so I always visited as a child and my father was born there. The special thing about I DON’T WANNA DANCE is that it is a very personal film – for Yfendo, but also for me. Because I recognize myself in the painful emotions that can be caused by parents who are “broken" in some way. The most important film lesson for me is: write about what you know. I saw parallels in how Yfendo deals with that, and how I had to do that at the time. That makes the story, however specific to that one family, at the same time very universal: something that thousands, perhaps millions of people can identify with.
Years ago, Yfendo crossed my path while I was doing researches for a documentary that was supposed to be about the power of music on children. Yfendo was twelve and played the clarinet. But when I started talking to him, the conversation quickly turned to his special home situation. He had just moved back into his mother’s place after being placed out of home for a while. This shifted the subject of the documentary, and he became the focus of the film […]”

Production
festival contact
The Rogues (Netherlands)
www.therogues.nl