Film edition 2021

NIGHT FOREST

Category: Elements +10

Paul (12) leaves home with his best friend Max (12) on the first day of summer vacation. Following in the footsteps of Paul’s missing father, the boys venture into the forest of the Swabian Alb and into a mysterious cave. Children feel freer and more carefree in the forests and mountains than ever before in their lives. But the challenges of their adventure are much bigger than they thought.

Original Title Nachtwald
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 92'
Production Year 2021
Nationality Germany
Directed by André Hörmann
Screenplay Katrin Milhahn, André Hörmann
Director of photography Michael Hammon
Editor Vincent Assmann
Production Design Christian Strang
Costume Design Bettina Marx
Sound Frank Schubert, Rolf-Peter Schmidt
Make up Eva Schubert
Music Marian Lux
Main cast Levi Eisenblätter
Jonas Oeßel
Marc Limpach
Meike Droste
Produced by Norman Bernien
Production Kurhaus Production (Germany)

Andre HormannAndre Hörmann

Documentary filmmaker Andre Hörmann studied social sciences at Humboldt University in Berlin, film directing at Potsdam Film University and is an alumnus of the Professionals Program in Screenwriting at UCLA, Los Angeles. Hörmann has received scholarships from the Goethe Institute’s Villa Kamogawa, the Villa Aurora and DAAD. He has taught film at Film University Babelsberg and at universities in Marburg, Ulm, Mumbai and Chicago.
His films have won awards at numerous international film festivals, such as Sundance, IDFA, DOK Leipzig, Hiroshima Int. Animation Festival, DocAviv, Sydney IFF, TIFF Toronto, SXSW, Doc NYC, Chicago IFF, Palm Springs ShortFest, IFFK Krakow. His most recent documentary RINGSIDE premiered at Berlin International Film Festival in 2019 in the Generation 14plus section. He lives and works in Munich and Los Angeles.

Director’s statement
“NIGHT FOREST is about friendship. Our heroes Paul and Max are there for each other. They are besties and as inseparable as only kids of that age can be. We follow them on an exciting, heartwarming and funny adventure.
NIGHT FOREST is a story about a kid who doesn’t feel comfortable in his own skin. Paul’s father disappeared and left him behind. His mother wants to get on with her life, but Paul just can’t let go of the past.
It is also about a search for identity. Like his father, Paul discovers what it means to be viewed as abnormal and excluded. He sets off on his father’s trail and on the way, he learns to accept himself with all his strengths and weaknesses. This experience is an empowering one.
And Paul takes his father’s most important message to heart: what’s important is passion for a dream and a belief that you can achieve anything. Way more important than conforming and being "normal". That is the message we want our heroes and our audience to take home with them.
NIGHT FOREST is a very personal project. My father is from Albstadt-Ebingen, a tranquil town in the Swabian Alps. I have spent countless summers there, going climbing in the mountains and exploring the caves. In my imagination, I was always strolling through a mystical world full of mythical creatures. These are my fondest childhood memories.
I have been searching for this light-heartedness, this sense of adventure and this tingle of excitement ever since, but have yet to find it. Bringing these emotions to the big screen was a goal close to my heart. 

Production
festival contact
Kurhaus Production (Germany)
www.kurhausproduction.de