manifesto vert new
manifesto ing

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

Archivio Film 2019

BOOKSMART

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
Best friends and academic overachievers, Amy (Kaitlyn Dever) and Molly (Beanie Feldstein), thought keeping their noses to the grindstone gave them a leg up over their play-minded peers. But, on the eve of their graduation, these type-A ride-or-dies get a hardcore reality check and realize they may have missed out. Determined to make up for lost time, they decide to cram four years of not-to-be missed fun into one night — a chaotic adventure no amount of book smarts could prepare them for.

Original Title BOOKSMART
Italian Title LA RIVINCITA DELLE SFIGATE
Category Out of competition
Section Premiere
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 102'
Production Year 2019
Nationality USA
Directed by Olivia Wilde
Screenplay Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins, Susanna Fogel, Katie Silberman
Director of photography Jason Mccormick
Editor Brent White, Jamie Gross
Production Design Katie Byron
Costume Design April Napier
Music Dan The Automator
Main cast Kaitlyn Dever
Beanie Feldstein
Jessica Williams
Jason Sudeikis
Lisa Kudrow
Noah Galvin
Billie Lourd
Skyler Gisondo
Produced by Megan Ellison, Chelsea Barnard, David Distenfeld, Jessica Elbaum, Katie Silberman

regista Olivia WildeOLIVIA WILDE
Director, theater, film and television actress, as well as activist, Olivia Wilde loves to be called "a modern Renaissance woman". Recently, Wilde produced and starred in "A Vigilante" and "Meadowland", receiving critical acclaim for her performances. Additional past film credits include the Oscar-winning drama "Her", the Golden Globe-nominated "Rush" and the indie comedy "Drinking Buddies", which she also executive produced. Broadening her horizons even further, in 2017, Wilde wrapped her Broadway debut in “1984,” the harrowing adaptation of George Orwell’s dystopian tale, starring alongside Tom Sturridge and Reed Birney. On the television side, Wilde starred in HBO’s rock ‘n’ roll drama "Vinyl", from creators Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter, and on FOX’s hit medical drama "House" She has served as executive producer on several documentary films, her most recent being the short, "Fear Us Women", which won Best Documentary Short at the 2017 Napa Valley Film Festival. Additionally, she executive produced "Body Team 12", which premiered at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival, won the award for Best Documentary Short and was nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Documentary Short category. She also directed the music video for Dark Necessities, by Red Hot Chili Peppers and the music video No Love Like Yours, the first single off of Edward Sharpe. Wilde co-founded with the creative director Barbara Burchfield the philanthropic company Conscious Commerce and recently she has been honored by Save the Children with their Advocate Award in recognition of her galvanizing support. She is also a board member of Artists for Peace and Justice and the ACLU of Southern California.

Director's statement
"I was very happy that this movie was being made, even before I thought I even had a chance in hell of being part of it, I was just grateful that someone was making a story about female friendship that wasn't about them just trying to get a guy or trying to assimilate. The movie isn't about two nerdy girls who just want to dress up like popular girls and somehow bag the popular guy. It’s a story about the friendship between two young girls which for most women at that age is their first intimate relationship before they move on into adulthood. It's an intense bond, and it's something that most of us can reflect upon and think, ‘How did that friendship inform my identity and my future relationships?’ And yet, it's also break-up movie because these girls have to say goodbye to each other, they have to set each other free. They have become almost one living, breathing being, and now it’s time for them to separate and set forth on their own journey. That's not easy to do".

production
Annapurna Pictures
(USA)
www.annapurnapics.com

world sales
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
(USA)
www.mgm.com

Italian distribution
festival contact
Eagle Pictures
(Italy)