manifesto vert new
manifesto ing

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

Archivio Film 2019

TOO FAR AWAY

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
Ben and his family have to move to the nearby city, because an open brown coal pit will swallow their village soon. Ben meets Tariq, a Syrian refugee. The two start out as competitors - at school and at the football club - but soon find out that they have more in common than they thought they would.

Original Title ZU WEIT WEG
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +10
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 88'
Production Year 2019
Nationality Germany
Directed by Sarah Winkenstette
Screenplay Susanne Finken
Director of photography Monika Plura
Editor Nicole Kortlüke
Sound Robert Keilbar
Main cast Yoran Leicher
Sohbi Awad
Andreas Nickl
Mohamed Achour
Anna Stieblich
Anna Böttcher
Basti Campmann
Produced by Jonas Weydemann, Jakob D. Weydemann

regista Sarah WinkenstetteSARAH WINKENSTETTE
Sarah was born in 1980 in Rheda-Widenbrück. She studied at KHM Cologne and is participant of this year’s Into the Wild Mentoring program. With her short movies for children she has been awarded with many awards, among them the “Gyphon” at the Giffoni Film Festival 2011 with the short film "Kidnapped". Since 2011 she is a freelance director. "Too Far Away" is her debut feature film.

Director's statement
"I was 16 when my childhood home was torn down. Though it was rebuilt in the same place, it was no longer our old house, no longer my room with all the memories, the shelter of my childhood. Of course, my small version of losing my home at that time is not comparable with that of someone displaced by brown coal or even a war refugee. But still, the pictures of the ruins of our house and the feelings connected with it, are deeply burned into my memory. Something old goes, something new comes - sad and at the same time exciting. A universal feeling, with which one will be confronted by in life again and again in different situations. Ben and Tariq, the two boys in our film, encounter these emotions for the first time. Their feelings, their anxieties and their confrontation of those – that’s what I find incredibly exciting about this story. A friendship that emerges in times of massive upheaval, that finally gives both security and lets them settle down in their new homeland. That is what I would like to show - especially now, especially in Europe!".

production
festival contact
Waydemann Bros.
(Germany)
www.weydemannbros.com