GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

GIFFONI50PLUS - 21.31 JULY 2021

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2022 - 21.30 July

Archivio Film 2019

IN MY BLOOD IT RUNS

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
Ten-year-old Dujuan is a child-healer, a good hunter and speaks three languages. As he shares his wisdom of history and the complex world around him, we see his spark and intelligence. Yet Dujuan is ‘failing’ in school and facing increasing scrutiny from welfare and the police. As he travels perilously close to incarceration, his family fight to give him a strong Arrernte education alongside his western education lest he becomes another statistic. We walk with him as he faces these pressures, shares his truths and somewhere in-between finds space to dream, imagine and hope for his future self.

Original Title IN MY BLOOD IT RUNS
Category Official Competition
Section GEx Doc
Tipology Documentary, Feature Film
Duration 84'
Production Year 2019
Nationality Australia
Directed by Maya Newell
Director of photography Maya Newell
Editor Maya Newell, Bryan Mason, Simon Price
Sound Kim Patrick
Music Benjamin Speed
Main cast Carol Turner
Dujuan Hoosan
Megan Hoosan
Margaret Hoosan
Colin Mawson
James Mawson
Jimmy Mawson
Produced by Sophie Hyde, Rachel Naninaaq Edwardson, Larissa Behrendt, Maya Newell

regista Maya NewellMAYA NEWELL
Maya is an Australian filmmaker with a focus on social impact documentary. She has directed award-winning short documentaries, "Two" (AFI Docs, Slamdance) and "Growing Up Gayby" (ABC TV) and her feature documentary "Gayby Baby" (2015). "Gayby Baby" was selected for GoodPitch² Australia 2014, premiered at Hot Docs, screened at London BFI, Doc Leipzig, Doc NYC, is on Netflix US and reached No.1 on iTunes doc charts during its UK release. In Australia, the film famously caused a national stir when it was banned by the Australian State Government and is acknowledged as significant in the fight for Marriage Equality and Adoption Equality in Australia. "In my Blood it Runs" was selected for Good Pitch Australia 2016, the Sundance Documentary Fund and Sundance Skywalker Music and Sound Design Labs and is due for release in 2019.

Director's statement
"Over the last decade, I have had the privilege to be repeatedly invited to make films with two Arrernte-led organisations in Alice Springs, Akeyulerre and Children’s Ground. These films showcased the empowering work families are doing to educate their children and keep their language and culture strong. Over these years, I have sat with Elders as they recorded songlines for their grandchildren for fear they may be lost, seen kids visit their country for the first time and heard children speaking confidently and fluently in their first, second or third language. I was shocked to learn that our mainstream education system perceives these same children as failures at school. And it’s no surprise, when in Australia and in many Western countries, First Nations children are only taught in English and their successes are measured by western values. Rarely do we see into the inner lives of First Nations children growing up as they navigate the rich and complex bicultural society they are born into. In My Blood It Runs is a film to dispel the conventional myths of failure, trauma and dysfunction of First Nations families and instead amplify the resilience, strength and love that is often exempt from our screens".

production
festival contact
Closer Productions
(Australia)
www.closerproductions.com.au