manifesto vert new

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

Archivio Film 2019

A COLONY

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
Mylia, a shy 12-year-old child, is about to leave her native countryside to start high school. Lost in this new hostile environment, she copes as well as she can, sometimes awkwardly, dealing with the absurdities, discomforts and small victories of adolescence. Along the way she meets Jimmy, a young native outsider from the neighboring reserve, who will help her stand her ground and embrace who she really is.

Original Title UNE COLONIE
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +13
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 102'
Production Year 2019
Nationality Canada
Directed by Geneviève Dulude-De Celles
Screenplay Frank Berry
Director of photography Léna Mill-Reuillard, Etienne Roussy
Editor Stéphane Lafleur
Production Design Éric Barbeau
Costume Design Eugénie Clermont
Sound Marie-Pierre Grenier
Music Mathieu Charbonneau
Main cast Émilie Bierre
Irlande Côté
Jacob Whiteduck-Lavoie
Cassandra Gosselin-Pelletier
Robin Aubert
Noémie Godin-Vigneau
Produced by Fanny Drew, Sarah Mannering

regista Geneviève Dulude DecellesGENEVIÈVE DULUDE-DE CELLES
Geneviève Dulude-De Celles
’ first short fiction film "The Cut" won the Best International Short Film Award at the Sundance Film Festival in 2014 in addition to many other awards. It was an official selection in more than 80 international film festivals. The following year, Geneviève released "Welcome to F.L.", a feature-length documentary which premiered at TIFF and won the Best New Talent award at RIDM along with earning two nominations at the Canadian Screen Awards. "A Colony", her first feature drama, premiered at the Berlinale and won the Grand Jury and People’s Choice Award – Canadian Feature Film at the Festival du Cinéma de la Ville de Québec and the Best Canadian feature film at the Festival International du Cinéma Francophone en Acadie.

Director's statement
"I like the double entendre of the word (Colony n.d.r), which to me is a fair representation of the film’s two levels of interpretation: there is this reflection on the concept of collectivity, in other words a “colony” as a group of people living in the same community, with an implied nod to the historical and territorial connotation of the word, also hinted at by Mylia and Jimmy’s history class and relationship. […] I wanted to depict a child as she was slowly slipping into her teenage years. It is my belief that this shock can turn out to be more brutal and scarring than the transition to adulthood. That’s how I lived it years ago, and it looks like it hasn’t changed: children are required to act like grown-ups faster and faster. There is a certain pressure to get rid of all visible trace of childhood, to break this child-like image given away by the body. To do so, children engage in adult-like behaviors at an early age, changing drastically in the process. For girls, this means becoming a woman by assuming certain codes (active sexuality, seductive rapports with their male counterparts, clothing style, make-up)".

production
Colonelle Films
(Canada)
www.colonellefilms.com

world sales
festival contact
Indie Sales
(France)
www.indiesales.eu