manifesto vert new
manifesto ing

GIFFONI FILM FESTIVAL 2019 - 19.27 July

GIFFONI50 - 18.29 AUGUST / 26-30 DECEMBER

Archivio Film 2019

PHANTOM OWL FOREST

Category: Edition 2019

Synopsis
Whole family adventure film Phantom Owl Forest follows a 10-years-old Eia, whose Christmas holiday is taking an unexpected turn, after being brought to a mysterious farm in rural South Estonia. She follows her heart to rescue an old primeval forest, helps two lovers to find each other, and is destined to unwrap her family's well-kept secret.

Original Title EIA JÕULUD TONDIKAKUL
Category Official Competition
Section Elements +6
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 90'
Production Year 2018
Nationality Estonia
Directed by Anu Aun
Screenplay Anu Aun
Director of photography Heiko Sikka
Editor Margo Siimon
Production Design Matis Mäesalu
Costume Design Eve Gutmann-Valle
Sound Horret Kuus, Henri Kuus
Music Sten Ŝeripov
Main cast Paula Ritts
Siim Oskar Otts
Jaan Rekkor
Märt Pius
Priit Pius
Priit Võigemast
Mirtel Pohla
Liis Lemsalu
Produced by Maie Rosmann-Lill, Maario Masing

regista Anu AunANU AUN
Anu has graduated with BA from TV Directing and completed postgraduate studies in Film Directing in Baltic Film and Media School. Anu has produced and directed two feature films, several short films and documentaries. Anu's latest feature "Phantom Owl Forest" reached over 147000 viewers in domestic cinemas which made it the most viewed Estonian film of 2018. Her short film "Shift" (2010) was selected to more than 70 international film festivals and won 17 prizes from all over the world. Anu's debut feature "The Polar Boy" (2016) was developed in Torino Film Lab and Nipkow program. The film screened in Mennheim-Heidelberg International Film Festival official competition, Cairo International Film Festival, Tallin Black Nights Film Festival and many others. Anu is currently in production with creative documentary "Walker on Water".

Director's statement
"Phantom Owl Forest is a heartfelt and adventurous story of three generations of two neighbouring families, bind together with love, friendship and mutual goal to save the nature that surrounds them. The reason I wrote this story has a lot to do with my 12-year old daughter and a 7-year old son. Reading them bed-time stories and watching films together, I have noticed that there are a lot of fairytales, fantasy films and detective stories out there, but children often long for realistic films, where characters and their problems just as real as in their own lives. With my film, I’d like to show children that you don’t need to save the whole world, fight with a dragon or solve a crime in order to be a hero. Even a small deed of good leaves it’s important mark in this world".

production
Kinosaurus Film 
(Estonia)

world sales
Attraction Distributions
(Canada)
www.attractiondistribution.ca

festival contact
Luxfilm
(Estonia)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.