OTHER GIRLS

Category: Edition 2015

Synopsis
Four girls are on the verge of adulthood and loose their innocence and at times their belief. Taru, a boxer, becomes pregnant and has to get to know herself before she can decide what to do: “I was supposed to be Kate Moss, party hard and die before I’m 30. If I just wasn’t a little bit pregnant”. Aino, chunky and bullied, breaks her inner prison and stands up against her tormenters by hitting back: “My rule is to never be still, at least not long enough to have to look in the mirror”. Jenny is a fatherless drifting poet: “My best friend does not get it, I’m in love with her, I’m stuck and can’t go on with my life”. Jessica, the romantic sweetheart, falls in love and against all warnings follows her boyfriend to Vilnius, just to get dumped at the airport: “Everything would be perfect, if I just wasn’t so stupid”.

Original Title TOISET TYTÖT
Category Official Competition
Section Generator +16
Tipology Feature Film
Duration 83'
Production Year 2015
Nationality Finland
Directed by Esa Illi
Screenplay Esa Illi
Director of photography Hena Blomberg
Editor Samu Heikkilä
Production Design Sattva-Hanna Toiviainen
Costume Design Riitta-Maria Vehman
Sound Janne Laine, Olli Pärnänen
Music Aino Venna, Sarah Kivi & Non-Orchestra, Niclas Kristiansson & Sarah Kivi, Haloo Helsinki, Jean V.
Main cast Ida Vakkuri (Jessica)
Bahar Tokat (Aino)
Misa Lommi (Taru)
Sara Soulié (Jenny)
Max Ovaska (Max)
Saija Lentonen (Riitta)
Produced by Matti Halonen, Leila Lyytikäinen
Access

Illi OKEsa Illi
Born 1962, Mäntyharju (Finland). In 1994 he graduated in Directing from the Helsinki University of Art and Design. Afterwards he made short films, TV movies, TV series, documentaries. In 2003 he wrote and directed his first fiction feature film, BROTHERS (BROIDIT, 2003). OTHER GIRLS is his second fiction feature film.

Director’s statement
“OTHER GIRLS is based on the story of four real girls and their graduation year. They all kept a video diary and all faced their first real disappointments in life, this is the film about their challenges. The theme of the film is how to cope with the unavoidable first cut. Will you give up? Does the disappointment drive you away so that you become a loner, not able to trust anyone? Will you continue your life as a soldier, bitterly fighting? Or will you find the way to become a warrior, keeping your faith strong and fighting only when there is no other way? When life kicks you, you just have to kick back”.

production
Fisher King Production
Fredrikinkatu 34 B 20-21, 00100 Helsinki - Finland
phone +358 447573000
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.fisherking.fi

world sales
TBA

festival contact
The Finnish Film Foundation
Kanavakatu 12, 2nd floor, FI-00160 Helsinki - Finland
phone +358 96220300
fax + 358 962203050
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.ses.fi